Things have been a little crazy for me the past few days! And as much as I am sad that I didn’t get a chance to update the fashion side of this blog, I’m happy to share with all of you two latest dance videos that my family, friends, and I have created.
IMG CREW – Like I Love You by Justin Timberlake
Choreography by: Timmy Nolan
I had so much fun doing this with IMG friends! We went to the beach this day as our last outing with our dear friend, Timmy, who we won’t be seeing ’til after 6 months. This is our third dance video together as a group, and yet again it is another ‘impromptu’ one. I guess we’re just good at doing things last minute. haha!
And this other video was also done last minute, with my cousins who are visiting from the Philippines! We had a lot of time to kill in Six Flags Magic Mountain, since crowds were small and lines were very short. My cousins had time to learn a couple of eights for this video, but I didn’t want it to be too short of a dance video, so of course we had to FREESTYLE. lol. I had so much fun reuniting with my cousins, and I’m gonna miss them so much when they leave. I’m glad we were able to get this video done, to remind us of this fun day.
Big, big THANKS to Dx for helping me shoot clips for this video! I’m so glad your phone didn’t fly away while we were riding Goliath!
More dance-filled days are to come! I’m happy to let all of you know that I was able to get the job at Six Flags as a dancer, and I will be dancing with some of my IMG dancers there as well! Not only that, all of us also made it through Academy of Swag’s auditions, which means we’ll be competing internationally for World Hiphop Championships! Tune in for posts about it, and probably some more dance videos!
So much exciting news, and I can only thank the one above for all of it. Life has just inspired me all over again, and I hope everyone is feeling the same! Stay happy and blessed, everyone!
Wow, it has been a busy week for me, and it definitely ended big! Yesterday was World of Dance LA, and I went together with my crew, IMG. It was such an awesome feeling to be in one place with a lot of dancers, the inspiration just keeps flowing! It was also such great feeling to see a lot of my dance-friends that day, especially those who performed on stage! I’ve never had a chance to perform in this once-a-year event, and being able to do so is definitely in my bucket list. I’m pretty sure one day, the time for me will come.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with World of Dance, it is an International Dance Competition that tours in different places, bringing together the world’s top dancers, performers, and crews, in one stage. It’s definitely one of the most awaited events, especially for dancers and dance-enthusiasts like me.
Being able to watch all crews who performed and competed in this event was definitely overwhelming! Every single one of them is just truly amazing and inspiring. However, there were a few who captured my soul, and I wanted to name them so you guys can check out their videos once they’re uploaded by WOD here. Here’s my top 10 in no specific order.
1. Soar Ink – A crew representing the UK. These guys caught my attention because of their style. I loved their groove, and since my style is also very “groovy”, they instantly became one of my favorites.
2. Fortissimo* – This group performed as exhibition, rather than for the competition, and their routine is very memorable because of how they impersonated a lot of female singers, such as Kesha, JLo, Ciara, Pink, and Christina Aguilera. Highly entertaining!
3. Prototypes – Another competitor for tonight. They had a Silent Hill concept for their routine, and my favorite part was when the nurses came out and moved exactly like the ones in the movie! Awesome-sauce!!
4. Academy of Swag* – A lot of my friends performed together with this group, and I was very proud of how much growth they’ve all shown up on stage. I was very inspired to see all of them do such a great job. And I love how Swag’s routine showed people the importance of staying loyal and respectful to your own family.
5. Juice Crew – My favorite group!! Their routine was VERY ENTERTAINING and funny! Everyone definitely enjoyed. And what a way to pull off an amazing routine with just THREE MEN! Kudos! Wish they had placed, though.
6. Kaori Alive – Wow! Wow! Wow! These Japanese dancers left me speechless. Such power, such technique, such precision! A must-see, I would say. And they’re whole routine, being centered on promoting peace to the world, gave them a standing ovation in the end. “NO WAR” ..Congrats for placing third, Japan!
7. Tight Eyes ft. Street Kingdom* – A krump group. A LEGIT one. After watching these guys (and girl) perform, I was so ready to go buck! It was the cleanest, strongest, emotion-filled krump I have ever seen. And to see it live?? Wooooo.
8. Academy of Villains - This group has always been a favorite of mine, ever since I first saw them perform at WOD 2012. I love how they use rock music in their routine, and the choreography they create to match the music works out so perfectly! Hair-raising, definitely. I also love that this year they kicked it up a notch by adding a lot of highlights and flips to their routine. That kind of thing is rare here in LA, so it definitely captured a lot of people’s attention, putting them at the edge of their seats. AOV placed 2nd. Well deserved!
9. 8 Flavahz* – Composed of young girls, probably early teens, and maybe even younger. These kids got killer swag. And I MEAN IT. All i’m left asking at the end of their performance was “What do their parents feed them?”. Watch their video, and you’ll say the same.
10. GRV – The group that won last year, and won again this year! GRV’s routines always make me emotional. The strength of their crew, plus the emotion they put into executing each move is mind-blowing! Whichever angle I see these guys perform, it gives me goosebumps, every single time! I remember watching their routine last year for World Hiphop Championship, and it literally made me cry. These guys are so good at making me feel their soul while performing. CONGRATULATIONS, GRV!!
(*exhibition performers. non-competitors)
1st Place – GRV
2nd Place – AOV
3rd Place – Kaori Alive
Before you guys leave this post to check out these crew’s videos, I wanted to share my own dance video too! This one is special, because I got a chance to do a collaboration with Dx Resuello, my life partner and my biggest inspiration in dance. It’s always great to share dance moments with him. He makes it extra special. Hope you guys will enjoy!
Choreography By: Sassy Cuna & Dx Resuello
Filmed By: Ken Belandres & Mika David
Dress – c/o Charlotte Russe | Shoes – Charlotte Russe | Belt & Accessories – Tilly’s | Statement Necklace – Charlotte Russe
I love how this dress has “spring” written all over it! Nothing goes perfectly well with this season than floral, laces, and flowy dresses. And this dress has all of that! Adorable with floral lace details for it’s top, and a matching hi-low skirt, which drapes so perfectly. I chose coral colors as accents for this outfit because it is one of my favorite spring colors. Was lucky enough to own a pair of Mary Jane shoes with the same color as the necklace. I was very excited to use both of them together. I’d say it was a perfect ensemble for Easter.
Speaking of Easter, I hope everyone’s Easter weekend went great! I’m sure we all got a chance to spend time with our loved ones, over huge feasts and fun egg hunts! And I’m sure you ladies looked very pretty in your Easter/Spring dresses.
Happy weekend ahead, everyone!
Oh, it’s been a very busy week for me! My cousins from the Philippines flew in to visit, and it’s been fun staying up late and catching up with all of them! Aside from that, another highlight of my week is having my first dance audition for this year.
Awhile back, I would always go to dance auditions in hopes of finding a dance career here in Los Angeles. I never got call backs, and it definitely made me lose hope, so I just decided to stop doing auditions for a while, and just get back to dance training.
It’s really tough surviving auditions, since you have to be 100% all-out, cut after cut. And having to compete against other amazing dancers, it’s definitely hard, even for the pannel/judges (for sure).
So today I decided to get back at it, and it most certainly felt good! Here are some tips that I kept in my mind, for me to have a smooth audition today:
1. Research on what you’re auditioning for. It’s very important to know what they are looking for, be it the style of dance or the self-image they need. You don’t want to go to the audition and then realize you can’t do the style of dance they’re teaching or you don’t meet their height requirement. And researching on what they need will help you know what to give to the table.
2. Wear eye-catching and comfortable clothing. It helps to wear something that will catch the attention of the judges, but nothing too extreme that it goes way overboard. I like to wear leggings and a top that will help them distinguish me from the rest. Big prints and neon colors help a lot! And remember that you will be stretching and sweating a lot, so wear something a little cool and very comfortable.
3. WARM UP. This is very, very important! Nothing else will let your body move to it’s maximum capacity than a good warm up and stretch. This will not only loosen the tight feeling in your body, but it will also get rid of some of the nerves that you may be feeling.
4. Perform, perform, perform. Auditions are casting calls for dancer performers, so while learning the choreography, perform already. At this point you are giving your first impression to the judges, and doing your best right now will help you stand out from the rest. When it’s time to dance it front of the judges, continue to perform all-out. Big smiles are always an eye-catcher. I believe it’s more important to show that you can perform more than the fact that you’ve memorized the choreography. Don’t think too much on the steps, and make the routine look easy for you that it shows you’re having fun.
5. Enter strong, finish strong. Confidence is key! Enter the room knowing you want this, and exit as if you know it’s already yours.
6. Learn. Whatever happens in the end, the whole thing will always be a learning experience. If you get called back, then good! If not, then move on to the next one. Take every experience as a lesson for yourself to make you a better dancer in body, mind, and soul.
It took me millions of auditions to realize the things I should and shouldn’t do, and now I just trust the performer in me to do it’s job once i’m there. Until now I still get very nervous whenever I do an audition, but the pressure is a lot less now since I think that attending these auditions (even if I don’t get it) will help me prepare myself for more auditions in the future. And I hope that when I do, it will be the gig i’ve wanted my whole life. (Like maybe as a back-up dancer for a great artist )
Above everything, I believe that the way to a successful audition is the right mindset. If you come well-prepared with a strong heart, you will definitely own it. Whatever the outcome, dance auditions are lessons for you to gain more as a dancer.
In this post I will also share another dance video i’ve made, just because I was very inspired to dance, and also to refuel my passion. For this, I chose to wear this colorful, tribal top, and very stretchable jeggings. I love hanging something around the waist, too, because it emphasizes my hip movements. And of course! What dancer will not go for combat boots? It’s the best thing for hiphop dancers, I believe. Comfortable and very edgy!
This choreography was made a few months back for one of my previous crews, and since it wasn’t used in a routine, I decided to just film it. This is one of my favorites, so far, since it show my style clearly. Very sassy? Hehe. Anyway, I hope you guys will enjoy!
Hands & Feet by Keri Hilson
Choreography by: Sassy Cuna
Filmed by: Dx Resuello
Have a blessed week everyone! Happy Easter!!
Denim Shirt – H&M | Lace Top – Abercrombie & Fitch | Lightwash Denim Shorts – PacSun | Vintage Lace Booties – c/o Charlotte Russe | Accessories – Tilly’s
I was so excited that spring break finally came! I work as an elementary school hiphop teacher, and whenever they get breaks, I get them too! But sadly, upon reaching the weekend, I got sick with colds and a really sore throat, and I had to cancel some plans, including my much awaited outfit shoot. Monday came, and being stuck in the house made me feel more sick, so I went out and decided to do my shoot at the park, so I could also get some fresh air. It was a lovely day out, the breeze was cool, and the sun was just right. It was perfect for light denim jackets, so I decided to take mine with me, and it worked well paired up with all the lace i was wearing that day!
I’ve always loved how lace and denim looked together. Whatever shade of denim it may be, it always matches any lace material, and it gives you that very feminine look with just the right amount of edge. Perfect balance, I would say!
These lace booties are actually the second pair of heeled booties that I have from Charlotte Russe, and it’s amazing how they fit so comfortably! I can literally dance with them and not get cramps! (lol!) And these vintage lace booties are a definite must-have this spring season. Plus they come with other lovely and trendy spring colors, too! Even the ladybug in the photo was attracted to it. It was crawling towards the shoes, climbing every piece of grass along its way, ’til it got to climb up my laces. I hope that will bring me luck until the end of the season!
This day made me feel a lot better. It was fun to be at the park, lay down under the trees, and feel the breeze while you’re listening to some good Jason Mraz music (I’m a huge fan of his). Made me realize that when you’re sick, it could also be good to rest outdoors. I’m in love with nature and it’s beauty, and being out instead of inside the house helped me restore my health. I’m very thankful! The start of my spring break wasn’t so bad, afterall.
How’s spring break going for you beauties? Stay safe, everyone!
The ReQuest Dance Crew from New Zealand have always been a huge inspiration to me in dance. I still remember the first time I saw them perform live, it was at the World Hip Hop International Championship in Las Vegas, and I clearly recall tweeting all the time that I wanted to move to New Zealand really bad. They’ve won so many championships already, and I believe that one thing about their style that captures the judges attention, and the audiences hearts, is that they really stand out from the rest –They are PURE ROYALTY! The stories their routines portray are so unique and creative, and each of their dancers personality on stage is just amazing. Watching their sets is always mind-blowing.
ReQuest, together with their Royal Family, recently visited Manila, and it makes me quite sad that i’m not there to witness another inspiring show, and some dance workshops, led by them. But of course I was thankful enough to see videos posted by my friends back home. (Thanks, friends!)
So today, being in the mood to do some choreo (been a while since my last one, though), I decided to wear my ReQuest tank top and pair it with my new dance boots (thank you, Charlotte Russe!), and I danced away.
Tiring yet productive day, I must say! From choreographing, to music editing, to shooting, to video editing.. ..all in one day! I’d say i’m back in the game I haven’t been doing choreos lately, because I’ve been feeling rusty. I’m so glad my boyfriend came up with the idea of shooting a dance video snippet to attach with my outfit post, now I’m gonna try and do more!
So, here’s my latest! Posted by Pac Div. Hope you guys enjoy!
Choreography by: Sassy Cuna
Shot & Directed by: Dx Resuello (iPhone 5 camera)
Edited by: Sassy Cuna (Final Cut Pro)
Dx Resuello is my boyfriend for 2 years and 3 months now, and I consider him my best friend and my life partner. We met through dance, and as much as we’re different in a whole lot of ways, our passion for dance is what brought us closer to each other.
We had to go through a long-distance relationship at one point, and it was very hard for us both. It’s such a blessing to have him choose to move out here in Los Angeles, so we could continue to build our life together.
In this (semi) dance video, Ruby Palma, our director-slash-videographer-slash-friend, wanted to capture the love that Dx and I share. Be it through our dance, our movement, or through our actions, she wanted the whole world to see the kind of passion we had for both dance and each other.
Song: Marchin’ On by One Republic
Thank you, Ruby, for doing this for us! It was fun, and challenging! Acting sad and angry is way too hard when you know you’re celebrating a life filled with love and laughter.
“When people move like each other, not only their movements, but their very souls are at sync with each other.” -Ruby P.
Hope you all enjoyed the video! Spread the love!
So I got pinched today for not wearing a top that’s green. Apparently, they didn’t see the green bottoms I was wearing, so they instantly pinched me. I only had this pair of shorts to wear for St. Patrick’s Day, because I didn’t have anything else green in my closet. Paired it with my cork wedges for that spring vibe, and a loose and flowy top, because of the hot weather we’ve been having. I must say, I can’t complain! I like this weather! I kind of feel like summer is going to come early, too, since the temperature these days reach the 90s already.
Been a busy week for me, and busier days are ahead! Hoping to find time to post new outfits regularly. In the meantime, i should get rid of all my winter clothes, and make some room for spring outfits! I will most probably sell some clothes I won’t need anymore in my Poshmark app, so if you still haven’t gotten a chance to check out my closet, do so here. I post new stuff for sale very often, and sell them at low prices! Don’t have the iPhone app yet? Get it here.
Lastly, 2 weeks left ’til I announce my first Express Spring Wedge giveaway winner! If you haven’t entered yet, do so here!
Hope you guys didn’t get pinched bad today! Happy St. Patty’s Day!
Brandy Melville Dress | Icing Accessories
“Una Vita Che Non Vivi É Ancora Persa”
This is the statement you will find outlining the feather in my tattoo. Translated in english it means “A life you don’t live is still lost”. If all of you are familiar with The Goo Goo Dolls, I got this line from one of their songs entitled Before It’s Too Late. I love everything about this song. ..The meaning of every lyric, its tune and melody.. I see flashbacks of my life before my eyes whenever I hear this song, and it inspires me to make the most out of what I have, and where I am, in life.
I chose a feather as my tattoo design because of simple reasons. ..It symbolized freedom. And during the time I was getting it, I was just learning to free myself from all my doubts and regrets, which hindered me from living and reaching my full potential as a person.
The risk that might break you is the one that would save (you). A life you don’t live is still lost. So stand on the edge with me, hold back your fear and see (that) nothing is real ’til it’s gone.
..The paragraph in the song that I love and live by. I used to be a very risk-free person. As much as I loved to try new things, I would always stick to what I already know, and what I’m comfortable doing. It was only then that I learned that I can do so much more in life, when I broke my barriers and made goals which I never imagined I would achieve.
When I migrated here in the U.S., I hated life. I had a lot of dreams that I needed to leave behind in the Philippines, like my dreams of pursuing a dance career. It was very hard for me to accept my new “home”, and I was close-minded about what opportunities are in store for me here. I still danced, but it became more of a chore for me to go and attend dance classes, rehearsals, and auditions, thinking I’d never get anywhere. I felt stagnant, and my burning passion for it was just gone. So I decided to take a break, even if I knew it was risky to discontinue my training at this point, and it surprisingly did me good. Sometimes, taking a step back from where you are in life let’s you see the whole picture, and it helps you sort things out. Less dancing made way for more time with my family, more time learning to cook, more time discovering the world, and it also helped me find other ways to let my passion for creativity out.
I became more flexible and versatile in life, and I realized that all the while I thought I was either just gonna be a dancer or a nurse (the course I took in college which I don’t really have passion for), I could actually do something else! It’s been trial & error for me, so far, but I believe there are things I have yet to discover.
I used to think that dance is my only solution to everything, and I became miserable trying to force things to work when I know I shouldn’t. I was wasting my days stuck in a ball-in-chain of a situation, closing my doors to other options, and regretting the fact that I left a lot of dance opportunities back home. Learning to overcome my negative mindset freed me from my self-prison, and it paved way into more learning opportunities, giving me more options and making my life a lot less stagnant.
I’ve been a dancer my whole life, and that has become a part of who I am. It is something that’s never gonna change, no matter what I end up doing in life. All I know is that I am a person with huge passion for the arts, and I love pouring my creativity. Fashion, arts & crafts, choreography, design.. Whatever it may be, I will always attach myself with these artsy things, because it’s the life I see myself in, and I am at my best with it.
I still haven’t figured life out, and I don’t think any of us will ever be able to. And that’s just how it is, I have learned to accept that. One thing is for sure, I don’t want to miss out on the beauty of life, and what I can do to inspire others the way life has inspired me. It’s been a long haul, and a tough one, but I realized that sometimes breaking free from your own self is the simplest way to loosen up more and extend your capabilities.
I freed my mind from negativities, and I freed myself towards new possibilities. I have learned to breakaway from the norm, and now everything seems endless. Life became a lot more interesting, and that’s just how I like it.
“So live like you mean it, and love ’til you feel it. It’s all that we need in our lives”
-Goo Goo Dolls
Tattoo design: Mika David
Tattoo artist: Edward Tsai from Resurrection Tattoo Shop
I hope life is treating everybody well! Stay inspired and keep fueling your passion.
Happy weekend, everyone!
Today I didn’t have work, and I had nothing on my schedule except for taking another dance class. So I went out with my boyfriend to have lunch together, and went around Hollywood, before heading over to the dance studio.
I didn’t want to roam around wearing my sweatpants for dance, because the sun was out strong today, and it was very hot! And so I picked my high waisted shorts to go with a top i’d be using for my dance class, later on. This way, it will be easier for me to change.
I actually got this top from Six Flags Magic Mountain, one of my favorite places on earth. I’m a huge fan of their Superman ride, thus the top. And of course! I’ve always been a lover of the Superman character. Who isn’t? Superman is my hero. I admire his strength, his passion, and most especially his love for Lois Lane. He is a man of steel, with a very fragile heart. I always admire a man with a compassionate heart, especially for his lady, and I’m very glad to say that I have a Superman of my own.
Shoutout to my boyfriend, Dx! Happy 27th month, my love. You will always be a hero to me.
What about you, who’s your Superman?